Since the late 18th century the month of May has been dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary when this devotion arose among Jesuits in Rome. It quickly spread throughout the Western Church, and, by the time of Pope Pius IX’s declaration of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception in 1854, it had become universal.
The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Mother of the Church and therefore the example, as well as the guide and inspiration, of everyone who seeks to be the servant of God. Mary is the paragon of human virtue. She is a model of faith who is the humble handmaid of the Lord, yet a woman of immense strength.
There are countless reasons to honor Mary, the Mother of our Lord and our blessed Mother.
– Of all the people ever created, God choose Mary to bear His Son.
– Jesus gave us Mary as our spiritual mother.
– Mary loves Jesus perfectly and also loves each of us perfectly.
– Mary was a part of the most significant events in Jesus’ life.
– God entrusted His own Son to Mary.
– Mary is a perfect example of obedience.
– Mary is full of grace.
– Mary is blessed among women.
– Mary is the Queen of heaven.
Mary is our Mother and our help.
Sister Lisa Maurer
Sister Lisa Maurer was born and raised in Sleep Eye, Minnesota. Before entering the Monastery in 2007, she taught and coached in Catholic Schools within the New Ulm Diocese. Sister Lisa Made her Perpetual Monastic Profession in July ll, 2012. Her first ministry as a Benedictine Sister was working at the parishes of St. Lawrence and St. Joseph in Duluth. Currently she is Director of Mission Integration for the Benedictine Health System.