Would you like to be a Volunteer Associate?
The Sisters of St. Scholastica Monastery invite you to share their life of prayer and work as a live-in Associate.
Are you a woman who
… Seeks to take time apart to deepen her spirituality?
… Is eager to volunteer her time and talents within the context of a religious community?
… Is at a crossroads in her life, discerning which path she should take?
… Desires to experience the rhythm of prayer and work in a monastic community?
… Is curious about religious life and would live with our Benedictine Community for a period of time?
Work/ministry assignments are based on the Associate’s experience, interests, talents, and the needs of the Monastery and the Duluth area. They may include working in our gardens or with elderly sisters, showing hospitality in our reception area, helping with office work, or sharing tasks in our ministries.
Benefits of the Program
- Room in a private area of the Monastery
- Participation in daily Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours (Community prayer)
- Opportunities for spiritual growth, e.g., days of prayer and recollection, spiritual direction if desired, and time for personal prayer
- Monthly stipend
- Shared meals with the Sisters
- Guidance in community living
- Participation in the Oblate Program
- Interaction with the Sisters
- Opportunities to attend music, theater, and lecture series at The College of St. Scholastica and to participate in educational and spiritual programs
A Benedictine Associate
- is 21 years of age or older without dependents.
- has a desire to experience Benedictine monastic life.
- is in good physical health and has active health insurance.
- is able to meet her personal expenses.
- is able to commit to volunteer for a specific period of time, from three months to a year.
- is able to volunteer 30 hours of time each week.
The application process for the program includes an interview with the Director; recommendations from a spiritual guide or pastor, an employer or professor, and a third individual; and a background check.
For more information or to apply, contact:
Sister Lisa Maurer, OSB
St. Scholastica Monastery
1001 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811-2300
We will not be taking applications until Spring of 2023.